Friday, December 3, 2010

A Place I Call Home

     Whittier, California is located in Los Angeles County, about 12 miles southeast of the City of Los Angeles.  It is a charter law city and was established in 1898.  It is the place where I first learned to walk, read, talk, and develop the characteristics that make me the person I am today. I grew up in the 1990’s when the internet was just going public and the teen pop boy band N’Sync was being played through out the world.  There are different parts of Whittier and from just going into a certain part of town you can distinguish between the north and south side of Whittier.  North Whittier contains of two story modern houses.  It also has house where Shia LaBeouf lived in, in his movie “Disturbia.” However I grew up in South Whittier which is less glamorous. South Whittier is the home of many hispanics and caucasian families.  And between two major streets, Leffingwell and Santa Gertrudes is where my off white house with aqua blue trims stands. 
    Green trees and laughing children riding down the street surround my neighborhood.  Parents in their neon jackets and brushed out long hair, wave hello as they push their children in the strollers.  My single story house was the third house down from the noisy main street, Leffingwell.  Where there is a tabacoo bar, two liquor stores, a mexican restaurant, and a cocktail bar.  And almost every night you can hear the different rock bands playing their music, along with the drunk men and women singing along.  But in the day time my street is where I can be free. We had enough grass in the front yard where my younger cousins and I played soccer every holiday.  It also has a long picked white fence that wraps around the house.  Not only can everyone recognize my house from the white picked fence, but also by all the different season decoration my mom puts up. Christmas is her favorite holiday and everyone on our street knows that.  However, we aren’t that family that has to have all the big christmas lights and decorations surrounding the yard.  But instead we have more decoration that are simple, yet bring the christmas joy.  And of course we have the right window blind up so that everyone who is passing by can see our magical christmas tree.  My house is very simple, but with a touch of my moms love it is a home rather than a house. 
    My family has many gathering occasions where we eat and enjoy each others company.  Although I love each one of my family members my neighbor, who I call Grandpa Sullivan, has touch my heart in many ways.  With his boston red sox hat that he wears almost every time I see him and his distinguishing laugh, everyone knows when he is in the room.  He has this warm and loving affect on my family.  He has been there since I was a little girl and now in college.  He shows me a lot of things in this world.  From never giving up to how to win a game of poker.  And now that my his wife has gone to heaven he stills writes love Grandpa and Grandma Sullivan on every christmas and birthday card.  Not only does he gives me presents but every Thanksgiving he makes the best apple pie.  The smell of cinnamon and fresh cut apples makes my mouth water.  And the sound of the crisp, flakey crust as the fork cuts into it.  Lets just say it is a piece of heaven.  It is one of a kind and so is my Grandpa Sullivan.  I learn something from him everyday and each time I see him he always leaves me smiling.  I have been calling him Grandpa since I can remember and he has influenced many characteristic that I hold today.
    I believe that the place where you grew up determined on what kind of person you are as an adult.  From your neighborhood to the people you live with, influence every part of you.  Because I did grow up in well kept neighborhood, I never had to hear any gun shots while at night or have my parents afraid of what can happen  to me.  Although I didn’t experience any of that my parents still protected me as if anything could happen to me.  Even though my parents protected me, they always allowed me to go run around in my neighborhood with my cousins and friends.  I have learned how to ride my bike, take a hit from my brother, and learn how to play different sports.  My sister and I were the only girls in our family so we learned how to be tough like a boy.  I did love my barbie dolls and make-up, but also couldn’t put down a basketball.  This kind of environment truly made me into the person I am today.  I am a girl who is independent and doesn’t have to have a guy in order to do things. I am able to stand up for what I believe and not let anyone tell me I am not worth it.  
    I think there is a lot to remember and learned about the place where I grew up.  I can look back at the mistakes I made and avoid them in the future.  Everyone that I was surrounded with through out my childhood has taught me things that I now hold as morals and values.  I am glad that I can remember my childhood as fun and eventful.  I can only hope that I can give my children an environment that they feel comfortable and bring happy memories. 

No comments: