Thursday, October 28, 2010

Who’s better?

When I look into a mirror I see a girl who is athletic, smart, compassionate, but I also see a girl with self-confidence issues.  And sometimes when I look into the mirror I see more of my flaws rather than my good characteristics.  Ever since I was in grade school I would compare myself to the people in my class, celebrities, and athletes.  I would see them as people I wanted to be like and how much better there were.  I found that I was comparing myself to others over things such as: the way they dress, their intelligence, their athletic ability, and their weight.  I don’t want to compare myself to others anymore and I want to change that about myself.
Comparing myself to others has caused my self-confidence in many ways.  If there is a group project and me and another individual are good act drawing, I will let the other person show our group on what a great artist she is.  Why do I do that?  It is because I think that she is a much better artist than I am and if I show her my work than she will think, why do I even call myself an artist.  I also won’t suggest anything for the fear of being rejected.  I think they are doing a better job than I could have ever done.  I see the others girl’s strengths as them being so much better than mine and therefore I just sit back and see others do things I should be doing.   I find myself beating myself down when there is no need.  I am too busy comparing myself to other people while I should be showing the world the things I am able to do.  And things that I am confident in.
Being able to know what I want to change about myself is the first step.  I am done comparing myself to others and now I am ready to accept who I am and not be afraid to show the world.  I am working on my own strength and weaknesses and knowing that everyone is unique.  Yes, maybe someone is better at something, but that doesn’t make them a better person than I am.  I may be better in something else while that can have that as one of their weaknesses.  Everyone is different and no body is perfect.  I have to be more easy on myself and know who I am and be confident in myself. 
I can do great things with my life when I don’t compare myself to others.  I don’t have to worry about other people’s lives and what they think abut me.  I will be able to try new things and be confident in the things I already do know.  And if I do compare myself to other people hopefully it will be more on how I can improve something rather than just accept that I’m not as good as them.  I have a lot to offer the world and I can’t let anyone or myself stop me.

No comments: