Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Superwoman

In the dictionary the meaning of the word mentor is a wise and trusted counselor or teacher.  Everyone has someone who they look up to.  It can either be an author, an actress, a sport athlete, or in my case my aunt.  Basketball was something I loved.  I was good at it and loved every minute of every game.  So I decided to try out for my High School basketball team.  I made the JV team as a starter and was having the time of my life.  It wasn’t until picture day when I found out that they decided to go in a different direction.  They decided I would be on the Freshman team.  I was so confused and most of all hurt.  My aunt was waiting for me until picture day was over and once I saw her I started to cry.  She told me that everything was going to be okay but in the moment it didn’t matter.  I was too hurt to think that I can overcome this.  From that moment on it was a battle for me to know how good I truly was, and it was my aunt’s determination and self confidence that helped me fight back.   


My aunt determination was the fist step to help me get through this difficult time.  I looked at my aunt and said, “Auntie, I don’t know what happened”  She told me that, “It’s okay Kelly.  We will get through this and show them that they made a wrong decision.”  A part of me knew that everything will be okay but I felt alone.  No one really knew what I was feeling.  I still couldn’t wrap my head around on why I was on the Freshman team.  I couldn’t turn to my friends because they were happy that they will be able to play with me.   I wasn’t saying that I wasn’t happy about that, but right then and there I felt betrayed by all three coaches.  Being my aunt she knew that I needed help.  She started practicing with me and helping me to improve my basketball skills.  She signed me up with clubs teams and pushed me to the best of my ability.  I soon started to improve but I wouldn’t be there if it wasn’t for my aunt.  Honestly I would’ve kept complaining about not being on JV and not doing anything about it.  My aunt’s determination got me to play Varsity my Junior year.  


My senior year was the time for me to shine.  I was team captain and had a lot going for me.  Being the team captain has many responsibilities.  You have to lead the team to victory and hardly make mistakes.  But my coach didn’t understand that we are human and we do make mistakes.  My coach would yell at me constantly for things I thought I was doing okay at.  But in his eyes it wasn’t good enough.  It brought myself confidence down and soon enough I started dreading games.  I would be more afraid to make mistakes instead of playing because I love it.  My aunt notice that his actions and words were really affecting my playing.  She pulled me aside after one game and we sat down and just talked.  She told me about her experiences at her job and that her boss never gives her praises.  He takes her work for granted as my coach does for me.  She told me that yes it feels great to be praised but sometimes its not the case.  You have to turn his comments into positive and not take them too personal.  And remember you are suppose to be having fun.  You love this game and he shouldn’t bring you down. 


If it wasn’t for my aunt, my senior year would have been horrible.  I let the things my coach say affect my playing.  I saw her determination and self-confidence being qualities that I wanted in my life.  I will never forget my basketball years.  And although they were hard times but made me into the person I am today.  I am more determined to succeeded in the things I do and more confident in myself.  I can’t thank my Aunt enough for the things she has taught me.  She is someone I look up to and admire.  She is my mentor.  

No comments: