Wednesday, September 15, 2010

True Inspiration

In the book Woman in Front of the Sun Judith Ortiz Cofer writes a memoir “My Rosetta” about her leaving childhood and transitioning into the woman she is today.  She starts her story in her classroom.  Her first impression of Sister Rosetta was of an unattractive woman who had to be here only to be under the watchful eye of Father Jones.  Cofer had no idea that Sister Rosetta would be the true reason why she is the person she is today.

Sister Rosetta was the one who introduced her to the world of writing and how to expand one’s horizons.  When Judith was caught reading about sex Sister Rosetta thew away that “trash” and gave Judith books with actual meaning.  Judith read books like The Odessy, some of Emily Brontes’ stories as well as Katherine Porter.  Judith was then drawn into the beauty of writing and what it had to offer to her.  Sister Rosetta was that person Judith needed in her life.  Judith did have her two parents to look up to but to her, Sister Rosetta was someone special.  Someone that taught her about life and how to stand up to what you believe in.  Sister Rosetta inspired Judith in a way that she will never forget.

I think Judith wrote her story, “My Rosetta”, to give thanks to Sister Rosetta and how she truly made a difference in her life.  She wanted to let us readers know how much of an impact she was and that she will never forget what Sister Rosetta did for her.  I enjoyed reading how Judith Cofer transitioned into the woman she is today.  She listened to what Sister Rosetta had to say and actually took those words to heart.  That really encourage me to really listen to what people have to say.  Either from a teacher, a priest, my parents, or just a friend and see how I can use their ideas into my life.  Cofer made me realize that I can take their ideas and yet still know who I am. 

No comments: